Rosario + Vampire Capu2 (a J!-ENT Anime DVD Review)
January 2, 2012 by Dennis Amith
Panties, vampires and monsters…Oh my! If you are into anime harem series that are slightly perverted, full of action and all-out fun…”Rosario + Vampire Capu2″ is for you!
Image courtesy of © Akihisa Ikeda/Shueisha Rosario*Vampire Project. All Rights Reserved.
DVD TITLE: Rosario + Vampire Capu2
ANIME SERIES AIR DATE: 2008
DURATION: Episodes 1-13
DVD INFORMATION: 16:9, Bilingual Japanese & English, Subtitles: English
COMPANY: FUNimation Entertainment
Release Date: December 20, 2011
Originally created by Akihisa Ikeda
Directed by Hiroshi Yamaguchi
Screenplay by Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Ritsuko Hayasaka
Music by Kouhei Tanaka, Shiroh Hamaguchi
Character Design by Mariko Fujita
Art Director: Shigemi Ikeda
Chief Animation Director: Satoru Kiyomaru
Mechanical Design by Hiroyuki Kanbe
Sound Director: Takeshi Takadera
Director of Photography: Ayumi Ushijima
Anime Production: Gonzo
Featuring the following voice talent
Daisuke Kishio/Todd Haberkorn as Tsukune Aono
Nana Mizuki/Alexis Tipton as Moka Akashiya
Colleen Clinkenbeard as Inner Moka Akashiya
Kikuko Inoue/Jamie Marchi as Shizuka Nekonome
Kimiko Koyama/Monica Rial as Yukari Sendō
Misato Fukuen/Brina Palencia as Kurumu Kurono
Rie Kugimiya/Tia Ballard as Mizore Shirayuki
Saeko Chiba/Leah Clark as Rubi Tōjō
Shuuichi Ikeda/Jason Douglas as Kuyou
Takehito Koyasu as Nazo Koumori
Tomokazu Seki as Ginei Morioka
Tsukune, Moka and the rest of the gang return for another year at Yokai Academy – where the supernatural student body rules the school!
Tsukune’s a real slacker in the human world, but in the monster realm he scores an A+ as a high school heartthrob. Keeping up with a hellacious bunch of hot demon girls has its perks, but Moka’s bratty little sister could burst the love bubble. His pain is her pleasure – and if the tart has her way, Tsukune can kiss Moka’s sweet side goodbye. Family values take new meaning when a MILF fight breaks out on campus, too. So forget what you know about home-economics class, because these ghouls gone wild always cook up trouble!
In 2004, mangaka Akihisa Ikeda (creator of the 2002 fantasy series “Kiruto”) created a new series titled “Rosario to Vampire” published in “Weekly Shonen Jump” and lasted from through 2007, followed by a new series titled “Rosario to Vampire Capu2” which is currently ongoing in Japan.
With the popularity of the manga series, in 2008 a 13-episode anime series was created and ran from January through March. “Rosario to Vampire Capu 2” followed and aired in Japan from October through December that same year.
The series features anime production from GONZO and is directed by Takayuki Inagaki (“Desert Punk”, “”Indian Summer”, “Jewelpet Sunshine”), series composition by Hiroshi Yamaguchi (“Bastard!!”, “To Heart”, “Gatekeepers”), character design by Mariko Fujita (“Galaxy Angel”) and art direction by Shigemi Ikeda (“Ikki Tousen”, “Gantz”, “Inuyasha”).
And now both seasons of “Rosario+Vampire” (the American title) will be released by FUNimation Entertainment in Dec. 2011.
“Rosario+Vampire” is a harem anime series which focuses on protagonist Tsukune Aono, a normal high school freshman who is unable to get into any private school because of his bad grades. But his parents enroll him into a private school called “Yokai Academy”.
But when Tsukune arrives at his new school, he realizes that it’s a school for monsters disguised as humans and because it’s a top secret school in which humans are not to know about it, if he reveals that he is human and knows about the school, he will be killed.
One day, while thinking about leaving the school, he accidentally runs into a beautiful pink haired girl named Moka Akashiya. Moka turns out to be a sweet vampire and is attracted to the taste of his blood (she takes small nibbles instead of large bites). Moka had lived in the human world at one time and does not like them for some reason. She also wears cross that is fixed upon a collar and can not be removed.
But because she has made friends with Tsukune, she instantly bonds with him, not knowing he is human. And because this normal teenager is able to catch the attention of a beautiful girl at school, others become jealous and one decides to confront Moka of why she would be with a weakling like Tsukune.
And through circumstances, he reveals to Moka that he is actually a human and she is shocked to find out that someone so kind, is a human being. But one day, while trying to defend Moka from a male monster trying to make her be with him, somehow he is able to remove her cross from her collar which activates during a time of need and Moka transforms to a Class S vampire (the most powerful vampire) and the true inner Moka is revealed.
Needless to say, she defeats the male monster and from that point on, both begin to become great friends and fall for each other.
But along the way, other female students (supernatural) also begin to fall for Tsukune and all start to hang out as a group, but at the same time, each girl knows they are rivals in gaining Tsukune’s affection.
In season two, after finding out Tsukune is human but still cares for them despite these monsters not being human at all, each of them cares for Tsukune and wants him as their husband. But in “Rosario + Vampire Capu 2”, it is quite obvious that Tsukune is falling for Moka, but also the interior Moka. And actually, he cares for all the ladies close to him.
But it’s a new school year and Tsukune can’t wait to see Moka and the others. And while hurrying to school, he accidentally runs into a violent, outspoken girl named Kokoa Shuzen and “accidentally” gropes her breast. Needless to say, the first meeting between Tsukune and Kokoa, doesn’t go quite well.
Meanwhile, Tsukune reunites with Moka, Kurumu, Yukari and Mizore. Including their lecherous newspaper president Ginei Morioka and even Ruby Tojo has found various jobs at Yokai Academy.
But just when everything seems to be going well,suddenly, Moka begins receiving threatening letters that some one is out to kill her.
Scared and devastated by the recurring letters, each wonders who may be after her…and we learn the person responsible is Kokoa Shuzen, the girl that Tsukune accidentally ran into but also the half-sister of Moka (interior Moka). Kokoa has been emotionally scarred since her sister left her and she doesn’t understand why her real sister has been locked inside this other Moka. And now, Kokoa has developed this hatred towards Moka, for not letting her sister be free.
“Rosario + Vampire Capu 2” is a series that focuses on family. As Moka has to deal with her half-sister Kokoa, what happens when she gives internal Moka the chance to be free?
Tsukune has to deal with his mother who has found out that he has become popular with a few girls at Yokai Academy, his cousin Kyoko who saw Tsukune’s friends fight with their supernatural powers and now wants to find out what kind of school that Tsukune is attending.
Also, we meet Mizore’s mother Tsurara Shirayuki and Kurumu’s mother Ageha Kurono and find out that like their daughters, these two were rivals in high school over a guy (who happens to be Yukari’s father). But this time, both mothers insist in having their daughter win the affections of Tsukune.
The main characters of “Rosario + Vampire” are:
- Tsukune Aono – The main protagonist. A normal human teenager who is mistakenly enrolled into Yokai Academy. Because it is illegal for humans to attend a high school for the supernatural/monsters, Tsukune tries to keep his human existence a secret (only Moka knows he is a human). He really cares for Moka, but also cares for his other friends and tries to protect them. And because he is courageous and willing to befriend them, these female characters fall for him.
- Moka Akashiya – The first student that Tsukune befriends. She is a sweet and kind vampire with a rosario (cross) attached to her collar. It is sealed and no one can remove it but when things get tough, Tsukune is the only person can break off the rosario and reveal the cold “inner” Moka who is an S-Class monster. She cares for Tsukune deeply and loves the taste of his blood.
- Kurumu Kurono – She is a succubus who sees Moka as a rival because of the attention she gets from guys. Kurumu also has G-cup breasts that she tries to seduce Tsukune with and can use her hypnotizing spell on males. She chooses Tsukune to be the guy she will try to win over and marry.
- Yukari Sendo – The smartest student of Yokai Academy at young at age 11. She is a witch and because witches are seen as half human, she is discriminated against by her fellow schoolmates and has moved school to school because she didn’t not get along with anyone. But because both Tsukune and Moka accepted her and want to be friends with her, she has interests in both Moka and Tsukune.
- Mizora Shirayuki – A depressed girl with freezing supernatural powers. Because Tsukune became friends with her, she became infatuated with him. She is known to be quiet and always sucking a lollipop.
- Ginei Morioka – A werewolf and the president of the Newspaper Club. He is also a mega pervert and tried to get Tsukune in trouble at one time. But despite his pervertedness, he has helped the group at times when they are in a bind.
- Kokoa Shuzen – Moka Akashiya’s half sister and often angry. She loves her sister to death and despises the current Moka where her sister is sealed inside. She is often seen talking to her pet bats.
- Ruby Tojo – Introduced as a rival in the first season, she is now working at Yokai Academy under Mikogami but the truth is that she does so, because of her hidden infatuation with Tsukune.
Here is a basic spoilerless summary of each episode included on the two DVD’s of “Rosario+Vampire Capu2”:
- EPISODE 1 – Tsukune returns for his second year at Yokai Academy but finds out someone has been threatening Moka
- EPISODE 2 – Moka reveals that the person sending her threatening letters is her sister Kokoa Shuzen.
- EPISODE 3 – It’s Parents’ Day at Yokai Academy and both Mizora and Kurumu have lied to their parents that Tsukune is their boyfriend. But the daughters don’t know that their mothers were also friends/rivals back in high school.
- EPISODE 4 – Yukari is sad that she doesn’t have big breasts like her friends and goes to the school nurse, to make her an adult.
- EPISODE 5 – The young ladies try to win Tsukune’s affection by cooking curry for him.
- EPISODE 6 – A school trip to the human world but the “Alliance” takes Tsukune as their hostage and they will only release him if Kurumu, Mizore and Yukari defeat them.
- EPISODE 7 – Tsukune pays his mother a visit, but all the other girls secretly pay him a visit at his mom’s place as well.
- EPISODE 8 – Ruby makes a new rule at Yokai Academy requiring the Moka and friends to wear long skirts.
- EPISODE 9 – Tsukune and friends visit a ski resort in the human world, and learn that is run by Mizore’s mother Tsurara. And once again, mother tries to get Mizore closer to Tsukune.
- EPISODE 10 – A new transfer student named Kotaro Ijuin joins Yokai Academy and uses his hypnotizing charms on all female students including Moka and friends.
- EPISODE 11 – Kyoko has decided to investigate Yokai Academy but in the process, she runs into Kokoa and both have identical parcels and Kyoko ends up with the Lilith Mirror that will turn monsters disguised as humans, into their true form.
- EPISODE 12 – Moka sacrficies her life by using her seal to stop the human/yokai worlds from crumbling. But now she has gicen her life and is replaced by inner Moka. How will Tsukune deal with the Moka he knew…gone.
- EPISODE 13 – With news that Tsukune can help free Outer Moka, he goes to the castle to confront the Dark Lord.
“Rosario + Vampire Capu2” is presented in 16:9 widescreen. As one would expect from a TV series, the picture quality on DVD is soft and there is more detail that can be seen on the art backgrounds which are well-painted. Character designs are good at times, while not as detailed for far shots, close-ups look good and there is good shading on the clothes and hair of the characters . But overall, the picture quality looks good on DVD and the fact that locations are constantly changing for the series, there is a good amount of background scenery used.
AUDIO & SUBTITLES:
“Rosario + Vampire Capu2” is presented in English 5.1 surround and Japanese stereo. While the Japanese voice acting is very good, I found myself watching the English dub quite a bit because of the better spatial use of audio. The voice acting for the English dub is well-done and for the most part, fans of the series should enjoy both soundtracks. While those with home theater systems may prefer the English 5.1 for the better use of channels, you can also set your receiver to output stereo on all channels for the Japanese track for a more immersive soundtrack.
Subtitles are in English.
“Rosario + Vampire Capu2” comes with the following special features:
- Textless Opening Song – DISCOTEQUE
- Textless Closing Song – Trinity Cross
- Trailers – FUNimation Entertainment trailres
Like the original “Rosario + Vampire”, the second season returns with more crazy fun with this anime series with plenty of panty shots, jiggly boobs and monster action!
This time around, the storyline is more of a family affair as we watch stories that involve Moka’s half-sister Kokoa, Mizore and Kurumu’s parents and also Tsukune’s relatives as well. And this is quite interesting because I mentioned of how the first season, “Rosario + Vampire” didn’t break anything new to the harem anime series aside from its characters going to a monster high school but with Tsukune being the lone human.
But what the second season does is try to show how much more complex things have gotten, now that family members have gotten involved in the lives of Tsukune and his lady friends. With outer Moka, we know that she feels sad for Kokoa because inner Moka is sealed within her. We know that Kurumu and Mizore’s parents want their daughter to win, in an extension of their own rivalry back in high school, both mothers wanting their daughters to become victors in winning Tsukune’s affection.
In some way, I was expecting the typical banal storyline of more female characters falling for Tsukune but instead, Akihisa Ikeda kept the storyline within these main female characters and instead of building problems of additional female admirers, instead…he brings in the family to cause problems. So, that’s a pretty interesting take on this harem anime series.
And as far as fan service, just like the first season…plenty of panty shots for the lonely otaku who loves fan service, including a few scenes of nudity as well. So, older siblings or people with kids, this is not a series to watch around the little ones.
While the majority of all episodes are upbeat, similar to the first season, with the secnd season finale, we do get a somewhat deeper storyline as Tsukune will go out of his way to save outer Moka.
As for DVD release of “Rosario + Vampire Capu2”, I was hoping to listen to audio commentary from FUNimation Entertainment aside from the typical textless opening and closing theme being the sole special feature. And the picture quality for the series, it’s good for DVD but because it is soft at times, not sure if this series would be upgraded and released in the near future on Blu-ray.
Overall, “Rosario + Vampire Capu2” was an anime series that I enjoyed! I love watching these frienemy/rival type of anime series that are built upon miscommunication or pretty much everyone wanting their moment with Tsukune. Granted, the series is a bit perverted with all the panty shots and as mentioned, there is nudity in this sequel. But if you are an anime fan craving for something a bit perverse, crazy but also a series that is full of action, you can’t go wrong with “Rosario + Vampire Capu2”!
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has purchased the above product for review purposes or may have received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews, may it be positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”