Durarara!! part 03 (a J!-ENT Anime DVD Review)
May 17, 2011 by Dennis Amith
The final volume of “Durarara!!” is here! All is revealed and nothing will be the same! One of the most stylish anime TV series that I have seen in the last decade! “Durarara!!” is awesome and features one of the coolest, yet bizarre storyline and characters in an anime series! Highly recommended!
Image courtesy of © Ryohgo Narita/ASCII MEDIA WORKS/Ikebukuro Dollars/MBS. All Rights Reserved.
DVD TITLE: Durarara Part 03
DURATION: Episodes 18-25 (200 Minutes)
DVD INFORMATION: 16:9 LB, Japanese and English Dolby Digital 2.0, Subtitles: English
COMPANY: Aniplex Inc.
RATED: Suggest 13 and up
Release Date: May 31, 2011
Originally created by Ryohgo Narita
Directed by Takahiro Omori
Series Composition by Noboru Takagi
Music by Makoto Yoshimori
Original Creator: Ryohgo Narita
Character Design by Takahiro Kishida
Art Director: Akira Ito
Produced by Akeko Yokoyama, Atsushi Wada, Hiro Maruyama, Kozue Kaneniwa, Yasuyo Ogisu
Anime Production: Brains Base
Featuring the following voice talent:
Miyuki Sawashiro/Kari Wahlgren as Celty Sturluson
Toshiyuki Toyonaga/Darrel Guilbeau as Mikado Ryūgamine
Akio Ohtsuka/ as Shingen Kishitani
Ayahi Takagaki/Mela Lee as Erika Karisawa
Daisuke Ono/Crispin Freeman as Shizuo Heiwajima
Hiroshi Kamiya/Johnny Yong Bosch as Izaya Orihara
Jun Fukuyama/Yuri Lowenthal as Shinra Kishitani
Kana Hanazawa/Michelle Ruff as Anri Sonohara
Kazuma Horie/David Earnest as Seiji Yagiri
Mamoru Miyano/Bryce Papenbrook as Masaomi Kida
Mariya Ise as Mika Harima
Sanae Kobayashi/Bridget Hoffman as Namie Yagiri
Takaya Kuroda/Patrick Seitz as Simon Brezhnev
Takuma Terashima/Spike Spencer as Saburou Togusa
Wataru Takagi/Kyle Hebert as Horada
Yuuichi Nakamura/Steven Blum as Kyōhei Kadota
Yuuki Kaji/Brian Beacock as Walker Yumasaki
A pitch-black headless motorcyclist who roams the city?! High tension, suspense, and action are taking over Tokyo’s Ikebukuro District! Warped romances and friendships – and plenty of hidden secrets – lie behind these big city walls.
Back in 2004, light novelist Ryohgo Narita, who won a Gold Prize in the 9th Dengeki Novel Prize for “Baccano!” returned with “Durarara!!” and teaming up with illustrator Suzuhito Yasuda (known for his video game work “Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor”).
With a total of eight volumes published in Japan by ASCII Media Works (ala their Dengeki Bunko imprint), a manga adaptation would be created by Akiyo Satorigi and published in the shonen magazine “Monthly GFantasy” in 2009. The popularity of Narita’s works, especially with “Baccano!” would lead to an animate adaptation of “Durarara!!” in January 2010. And now the series has been released in the USA courtesy of Aniplex, Inc.
The anime production for “Durarara!!” is by Brains Base (“Brave Story”, “Kure-nai”, “Spice and Wolf II”, “New Getter Robo”, “Akikan!”) and the series is directed by Takahiro Omori (“Aruna”, “Gakuen Alice”, “Kuragehime”, “Zoku Natsume Yujin-Cho”) with series composition/script by Noboru Takagi (“Baccano!”, “C”, “Koi Kaze”). Character design is by Takahiro Kishida (“Cheburashka Arere”, “Dragon Half”, “Ninja Cadets”) and art direction by Akira Ito (“Elfen Lied”, “Shadow Star Narutaru”, “Street Fighter Alpha”).
The series features an ensemble cast and their experience living in Ikebukuro, Tokyo but how their storylines are somewhat connected to each other.
Mikado Ryugamine is a young man who transfers to school from a small country town to the big city in Tokyo and his childhood friend Masaomi tries to show him the ropes of Ikebukuro, which can be dangerous as color gangs have corrupted the city.
Before the yellow scarves were the dominant gang and now on top of the gangs are a mysterious group known as the Dollars, with a leader that no one knows about, all that is known is that members are chosen and are hooked up through the Internet.
But recently, there have been several deaths causes by a murderer dubbed “The Slasher” and also rumors of a headless woman riding a motorcycle.
With the last volume revealing that Mikado Ryugamine is the leader of the dollars, Masaomi Kida is the leader of the yellow scarves and Anri Sonohara revealing that she is the possessor of the demon sword. While these three friends do not know each other’s secret affiliation or backgrounds, information broker Izaya Orihara looks to instigate a major war. What will happen when the three friends discover each other’s secret?
The main characters of “Durarara!!” are:
- Mikado Ryugamine – A first year high schooler who moves to Ikebukuro, Tokyo after his childhood friend Masaomi had invited him. A shy guy, Mikado is trying to learn the ropes and restart his life. He becomes a class rep and starts to follow for the female class rep, Anri and because his friend Masaomi also likes her, it becomes a bit of an interesting love triangle. Mikado just wants to change and not be normal. Revealed to be the founder of the Dollars (no one but Celty and Izaya know).
- Masaomi Kida – Mikado’s childhood friend. He seems very over-confident with girls, when actually he is not good at it. Also, he has a mysterious backgrounds and something happened to a girl he knew… Like Mikado, he also likes Anri. Revaled to be the leader of the Yellow Scarves (which only a few people know).
- Anri Sonohara – A girl who wears glasses and is a class rep. She is shy and timid and hangs out with Mikado and Masaomi. Revealed to be the carrier of the demon sword that was used to cut off Celty’s head.
- Celty Sturluson – A headless rider who is looking for her lost head. Celty is a Dullahan from Ireland (a headless woman) who has black smoke coming out of her body. Despite being depicted as monster and killer during the old days, she has been taken in by doctor Shinra Kishitani and carries out missions. Despite not having true emotions, she feels love towards Shinra but unable to understand the feelings that she has due to not having any living DNA.
- Shinra Kishitani – A underground doctor who lives with Celty. His father was the first to operate on Celty (in exchange of giving her a place to stay) and even was given a chance to learn how to do surgery at the age of 4. He works for corporations underground in trying to help them remove memories from people. He is also in love with Celty and is able to understand her emotions despite her not having a head. He also a childhood friend of Shizuo and Kasuka.
- Izaya Orihara – Known as the information broker. He sells information and likes to start trouble or loves to examine human’s when they are conflicted. He is a master of using a knife and causes problems for Shizuo Heiwajima.
- Shizuo Heiwajima – A blonde guy with a very short temper who wears a bartender suit and has enormous power. He can take a lot of pain and it is not known how he is able to have enormous strength and to heal from major injuries. He is friends with Celty, his brother Kasuka (who goes by Yuuhei Hanejima) is a popular actor in Japan and if there is anything he hates more than anything, it is Izaya Orihara. Izaya’s presence makes his blood boil so much that he ends up destroying property around him.
- Simon Brezhnev – A Black Russian who works outside a Russian sushi restaurant. He is known for his great strength.
- Kyohei Kadota – Also, known as “Dotachin” (a nickname that he hates), he is a member of the Dollars and leader of his group of friends which include Walker, Eri and Saburo.
- Walker Yumasaki – A carefree otaku and manga fan who hangs out with Eri. A member of the Dollars and hangs out with Dotachin.
- Eri Karisawa – An otaku and close friend of Walker, a member of the Dollars and Kadota’s group.
- Saburo Togusa – A member of the Dollars and Kyohei’s driver.
- Seiji Yagiri – A classmate of Mikado’s. He quit school to be with Mika but in truth, he is obsessed with the severed head of Celty’s that was put on Mika.
- Namie Yagiri -The older sister of Seiji. A chief of Yagiri Pharmaceuticals and regrets introducing her younger brother to Celty’s head and for his obsession with it. She appears to also have feelings for her younger brother. She is also responsible for the human experimentation going on in the city.
- Mika Harima – Anri’s good friend who, for some reason, has Celty’s head. She was Seiji’s stalker and now lover. Namie wants to get her revenge on Mika because Seiji just wants to be with her fulltime. Meanwhile, Celty is looking for her (because she has her head).
Here is a brief spoilerless summary of episodes 18-25 for “Durarara!! part 03” which is featured on two DVD’s:
- EPISODE 18 – Out of Your Control – Masaomi talks about his affiliation with the yellow scarves.
- EPISODE 19 – Anarchy – Izaya (using his secret identity online) tries to instigate a war between the Dollars and the Yellow Scarves. Meanwhile, Anri finds out the truth about Masaomi.
- EPISODE 20 – A New King Will Arise – Masaomi tries to investigate more about the dollars and finds out shocking details about Mikado.
- EPISODE 21 – Everything Covered in Fog – The Yellow Scarves disobey Masaomi’s orders and go after the Dollars, including Anri.
- EPISODE 22 – Declaration of Disbandment – As chaos continues, Mikado learns the truth about his friend Masaomi.
- EPISODE 23 – Complicated and Confused – As the Dollars all try to help out Anri, Masaomi confronts Anri about being the slasher.
- EPISODE 24 – Selfless Devotion – The final episode. Mikado, Masaomi and Anri must make difficult decisions that may affect their friendship and their lives. Meanwhile, the Yellow Scarves reveal their true nature to Masaomi.
- EPISODE 25 – BONUS EPISODE – World at Peace – What took place days after the unrest between the Dollars and the Yellow Scarves.
“Durarara!!” is presented in 16:9 LB.
I’m confident to say that “Durarara!!” has one of the best look animation and artist backgrounds that I have seen in years. In 2010, I felt that Production I.G. raised the bar for artistic backgrounds for televised anime series with “Eden of the East” and “Ghost Hound” but I have to really give credit to Stuio Base and art director Akira Ito for doing a magnificent job in capturing the look and feel of Ikebukuro, Tokyo.
Almost every scene is new. Rarely in this series do you see re-used art background scenes and every location featured in “Durarara!!”, there is magnificent detail, vibrant colors, deep blacks and literally I was impressed. Personally, “Durarara!!” would be best suited for an HD release on Blu-ray because it looks so fantastic! The animation and character designs are wonderful and the style of the character design and the art backgrounds have great balance.
This has to be one of the best looking anime series and you typically do not get this much effort for a televised anime series. It just doesn’t happen due to the tight schedules of anime production companies. So, “Durarara!!” was a pleasant surprise but literally left me in awe.
AUDIO & SUBTITLES:
“Durarara!!” is presented in Japanese and English Dolby Digital 2.0. Audio quality is very good for stereo tracks, dialogue and music is quite clear. While the Japanese voice acting was top-notch, I also gave the English dub a try and for the most part, it was well-done! The only thing I do wish that Bang Zoom had done for the English soundtrack was to give it a 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround soundtrack instead of 2.0.
I chose to have my receiver set to Stereo on all channels for a more immersive soundtrack.
Subtitles are in English.
“Durarara!! part 03” comes with the following special features:
- Textless Opening and Ending Themes – The textless opening and ending themes.
- Trailers – Trailers for upcoming Aniplex Series.
- Credits – Credits for “Durarara!!”.
“Durarara!! part 03” comes with a digipak with a plastic slipcase. Also, included are four postcards.
The final volume of “Durarara!!” is here! And one a thrilling ride has this anime been.
Once in a while, you will find an anime series that just surprises you for its storyline, animation, art background and overall presentation. “Durarara!!” is an anime that literally surprised me by its quality and I have to say, this is one of the coolest anime series I have seen in awhile.
For anime series, you often seen the banality of reused storylines with slight changes and different animation and for the most part, while characters and storyline are different, things are much similar in concept. With “Durarara!!”, while not as dark as “Boogiepop Phantom”, and the fact it is created by “Baccano!” writer Ryohgo Narita, he still manages to craft a fresh, urban, fantasy, supernatural storyline.
And what makes it so fun is how certain scenes of different characters and storylines are interconnected.
You get the high school student element with characters like Mikado, Masaomi and Narita. Then you get the supernatural/action-based sequences typically with Celty, Izaya and Shizuo. But then you get this fantasy element with Celty who is a Dulahan from Ireland in search of her head. And as these characters are quite interesting, you throw in other characters such as Masaomi’s buddies, the Black Russian Simon and all these other mysterious characters that everything together leads to a fun time. These characters are interesting and each storyline has been well-written and planned.
And as the characters are a big part of “Durarara!!”, also is the city of Ikebukuro in Tokyo. How the city is featured in this anime series is fantastic! Every scene is new and showcasing areas from the city with so much detail, color and for the most part, the character and art design for this series is one of the best I have seen.
And with “Durarara!! Part 03”, all is revealed. The three primary characters of Mikado, Masaomi and Andri and the secrets they hide are revealed to each other and there are major implications that take place and eventually will change their lives forever.
The anime series manages to wrap itself and giving very good closure to fans who have followed the series but also a bonus episode that treats you with an enjoyable, upbeat storyline.
One can only wonder if there are plans to have a more “Durarara!!” in the near future? Personally, I hope so. Even if it was not about the three teens, you can still get a lot of mileage with the character of Celty and Shizuo, the more action-driven characters of the series, especially the manipulating information broker Izaya.
When I first began writing about “Durarara!!” for the first volume, I mentioned how “East of Eden” and “Ghost Hound” were one of the best anime TV series I have seen and how I had to add Studio Base’s “Durarara!!” to that list. The only difference is that the other two have been released via HD on Blu-ray and for an anime series that looks this spectacular, one can only hope that Aniplex does consider this series for Blu-ray release in the near future. The fact that Aniplex has released “Baccano!”, knock on wood, “Durarara!!” is considered.
As for the DVD release, once again, the English dub for “Durarara!!” is awesome and very well-done. I was enjoying the Japanese soundtrack but after watching the English dub track, everything fits and each voice actor that was cast is perfect for the role they play. So, another wonderful job by Bang Zoom!
But with the high of the animation and the overall series, the only low-point is the lack of special features. It would have been nice to have audio commentary from the voice talent (Japanese or English) but you get the usual textless opening and closing themes and you get four awesome postcards and of course, the cool digipack and plastic slipcase cover.
It would also have been nice to see Bang Zoom giving the English dub soundtrack a 5.1 Dolby Digital treatment than Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. But for those that own receivers capable of selecting stereo on all channels, that is probably the best selection to have more of an immersive soundtrack.
Overall, this series is fantastic! It’s one of the best looking, stylish and urban anime TV series ever created with a cool ensemble cast of characters, plenty of humor and action and an enjoyable conclusion to this anime series.
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has purchased the above product for review purposes or may have received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews, may it be positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”