SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED! (a J!-ENT Blu-ray Disc Review)
May 23, 2009 by Dennis Amith
“Outrageous, hilarious and crude! Seth MacFarlane’s ‘CAVALCADE OF COMEDY’ features many short animated clips that range from very raunchy, adult humor to humor that may be offensive to some. Not for the timid and not for those who can’t take a joke but for those who want to laugh and be surprised to see how far MacFarlane and crew will go, definitely will want to give this release a try!”
TITLE: SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!
DURATION: 54 Minutes
BLU-RAY DISC INFORMATION: Full Screen (1:33:1), AVC@35MBPS, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
COMPANY: Twentieth Century Fox
RELEASE DATE: May 19, 2009
Created by Seth MacFarlane
Written by Seth MacFarlane, Jonathan Goldblatt, Kevin Biggins, Travis Bowe, Alex Carter
Produced by Andrew Egiziano, Nicholisa Contis, Aaron Parry
Music by Walter Murphy
Casting by Linda Lamontagne
Featuring the voices of:
Seth MacFarlane, Alec Sulkin, John Viener, Danny Smith, Rachael MacFarlane, Mark Hentemann, Jeff Bergman, Alexandra Breckenridge, Seth Green, Chace Crawford, Christine Devine, Gilbert Gottfried, Mark Henteman, Lisa Wilhoit
From the creator of Family Guy and the co-creator of American Dad! comes a brand-new animated series of pop culture parodies, hilarious shorts and superb non-sequiturs. Uncensored, uninhibited and unbelievably funny, Seth MacFarlane’s Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy is brimming with the kind of smart, raunchy and twisted humor you can’t see on television no matter how hard you try. So sit back, relax and enjoy the show. The possibilities are endless… and so are the laughs!
What do you get when “Family Guy” creator Seth MacFarlane is uncensored? You get “CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY”, featuring mini animated shorts with unrelated characters that pushes the envelope of animated comedy that goes into sex, racism, bestiality and anything he and the writers could think of that would be crazy and offensive. What these shorts come down to is how amusing and hilarious the story comes down to for the viewer. Otherwise if one is easily offended, this is not for you.
The shorts are featured on YouTube.com via SethComedy and is one of the most watched YouTube channels each week. Featuring possibly over 50 or more animated shorts (some last anywhere between a minute to three-minutes long), you can expect to see the following:
- Super Mario Rescues the Princess – Have you ever wondered what happens after Mario saves the princess from Bowser? Well, in this segment, all Mario wants is a kiss for all the hard work but what happens when the princess doesn’t want to?
- Mountain Climber – What happens when a mountain climber needs to take a dump while climbing a mountain?
- Beavers: Assholes of the Forest – Ever wonder how the Beaver became a sexual term?
- The Gay Knight – What happens when a gay knight doesn’t want to fight a killer dragon?
- Dracula Meets Magic Johnson – What happens when Dracula decides to go after Magic Johnson and sucks the blood from his neck?
- Small Talk with Aunt Helen – A story about a guy who talks to his aunt about what he did with the frozen wedding cake he and his wife stored in the freezer.
- Fred Flinstone – What kind of bodily sounds does Fred Flinstone make when he’s taking a dump?
- Die, Sweet Roadrunner, Die – What happens to Wiley Coyote after he succeeds in catching the roadrunner?
- Name that Animal Penis! – Animals stick their penises inside a hole and contestants must know what animal the penis belongs to.
- The Frog Prince – When the Princess believes that she should kiss the frog to turn into a prince, what request will this certain frog make the princess do?
These are just among the few several animated shorts in “SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!” with dozens more included on the DVD and Blu-ray release.
VIDEO & AUDIO:
“SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!” is featured in Full Screen (1:33:1) and for those with 16:9 TV’s, you will see the black bars on the side. The video is featured in AVC @ 35 MBPS. Because the videos were designed for the web, it’s not exactly what one would expect to see on High Definition. If anything, it’s quite normal and truthfully, there may not be much of a huge difference between the Blu-ray and DVD release.
Colors are not necessarily vibrant for this release but knowing that the intention was not for home viewing but more for online viewing through YouTube, I was not expecting much when it comes to detail for the character designs and animation.
The goal of these shorts were to entertain people online and the goal in mind was not to produce high quality animation but animation in the Seth McFarlane style but humor that is much more over the top. So, don’t expect hyper-detail, a lot of shadowing or anything like that with this release.
As for audio, audio is featured in 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Similar to the video, these shorts were produced strictly for online. So, you’re not going to hear an immersive soundtrack. In fact, it’s front channel, dialogue-based animation. So, audio is clear and understandable but this is not an animated release to expect immersive audio.
As for subtitles, you get the English SDH, Spanish and French subtitles.
“SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!” comes with a free download code for people to download the first episode of “Family Guy”, “American Dad” and “Futurama”. As for the special features on the Blu-ray disc, the following is included:
- Red Carpet Premiere – (4:21) A premiere party featuring Seth MacFarlane and guests which include Seth Green (“Buffy the Vampire Slayer, “Robot Chicken”, etc.), James Kyson Lee (“Heroes”) and many more. Discussions anywhere about the meaning of “Cavalcade” and discussion about boobs.
- Still Galleries: Character Models – An image gallery where people can use their remote and forward through over a hundreds images and see the development of the characters before and after and the final version and then afterward when the characters are colored.
“SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!” is definitely hit or miss.
Some will find some shorts hilarious and some will find them absolutely stupid. For me, I found some shorts to be quite hilarious but I found it much more easier to watch them in short bursts and not watch all one after the other in one sitting. Otherwise, the humor can get it old.
I watched this with a few friends and some found it absolutely disgusting and some shorts to be hilarious but they couldn’t watch it completely and felt it was too overboard for them that it was more disgusting and crude than funny.
So, I think people who are familiar with Seth MacFarlane’s animated series and are familiar with these shorts, will enjoy watching how far he will go in making people laugh or raise an eyebrow. It all comes down to one’s sense of humor and if you can laugh it out, that’s good but otherwise, if you are serious minded, some shorts may be quite offensive. You can read the YouTube,com comments of the shorts that you will see people on both sides who feel his “Cavalcade” works are enjoyable and the other side who feel otherwise.
As for Blu-ray or DVD? Personally, this is one of those releases where the Blu-ray is not far off compared to the DVD. Aside from a 1080p transfer and DTS-HD Master Audio, “SETH MACFARLANE’S CAVALCADE OF CARTOON COMEDY – UNCENSORED!” is not exactly a release that takes full advantage of High Definition. If you are a Seth MacFarlane fan and you can get the Blu-ray at a low price then go for it! Otherwise, if the DVD is much cheaper, go for the DVD.
So, this release is definitely for those who found these shorts enjoyable. I found them hilarious but then again, I’m more open to this type of lewd and naughty type of humor. For those who are a least bit curious and enjoy “Family Guy” and “American Dad” and are debating if they should purchase this release, my best advice is for you to check out the videos first on YouTube.com and if you enjoyed them, then this release is definitely for you.
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has purchased the above product for review purposes or may have received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews, may it be positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”