Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series (a J!-ENT Anime Blu-ray Disc Review)
January 23, 2013 by Dennis Amith
Move over “South Park”, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” is the naughtiest and most vulgar animated series (that is not porn) to arrive on Blu-ray! If you don’t mind watching a series with a lot of profanity, sexual references and insane booger picking, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” is definitely for you!
Image courtesy of Image courtesy of © 2013 FUNimation. All Rights Reserved.
TITLE: Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series
SERIES RELEASE DATE: 2010
DURATION: Episodes 1-13 (325 minutes)
BLU-RAY INFORMATION: 1080p High Definition, Japanese Dolby True HD 2.0, English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Subtitles: English
Release Date: January 15, 2013
Directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi
Series Composition by Geek Fleet
Music by Taku Takahashi (m-flo) and TCY Crew
Character Design by Atsushi Nishigori
Art Director: Masanobu Nomura
Anime Production: GAINAX
Featuring the following voice talent:
Arisa Ogasawara/Jamie Marchi as Panty
Mariya Ise/Monica Rial as Stocking
Ayumi Fujimura/Cherami Leigh as Kneesocks
Hiroyuki Yoshino/Joel McDonald as Briefs
Kouji Ishii/Christopher R. Sabat as Garterbelt
Miki Makiguchi/Christopher Bevins as Fastner
Shigeru Chiba/Chris Ayres as Corset
Takashi Nakamura/Ian Sinclair as Chuck
Yuka Komatsu/Colleen Clinkenbeard as Scanty
Hell – a place where beings that have committed mortal sins during their lifetime are sent. It is a realm where even Soul Reapers are forbidden to interfere. When a group of vicious Sinners plots to escape from this eternal prison, they discover that Substitute Soul Reaper Ichigo Kurosaki is the key to their freedom.
The Sinners launch an attack and in the process kidnap Ichigo’s younger sister Yuzu and take her to Hell. With the help of a mysterious man named Kokuto, Ichigo and his friends must now travel into the depths of Hell to stop the Sinners and save Yuzu, unaware that their actions could bring Hell to the World of the Living.
How raunchy can an animated series go? Find out with Funimation’s “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series”.
The TV series aired in Japan on October through December 2010 on BS NTV and simulcast on Nico Nico Douga and Crunchyroll. But it’s one thing to watch the Japanese version of the series which was aimed for television, but for the US English dub version, the cast takes it a step further by making this series much more raunchier, nastier and possibly the most F-bombs you will hear in an animated series. And the series (featuring 13 episodes and each episode featuring two mini-episodes) was released on DVD back in July 2012, but now this raunchy series gets its HD treatment on Blu-ray on January 2013.
With anime production by GAINAX, the series is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi (“Gurren Lagann”, “Anime Tencho”, “Dead Leaves”) and series composition by Geek Fleet, the animation features character designs by Atsushi Nishigori (“IDOLM@STER”, “Waiting in the Summer”, “Gunbuster 2″), background art by Masanobu Nomura (“Gad Guard”, “The Big O”, “Blue Exorcist”, “Street Fighter Alpha”) and music by Taku Takahashi (of m-flo) and TCY Crew.
“Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” features two angels known as the Anarchy sisters who were kicked out of heaven due to their bad behavior. Now they are sent to Daten City, located on the border between Heaven and Hell and the area is constantly besieged by evil spirits. But under the watchful eye of reverend Garterbelt, the two must collect Heaven Coins in order to go back to Heaven and to obtain these coins, they must destroy the ghosts.
The problem is… Panty is addicted to sex and is often in the urge to have it and Panty is addicted to sugary foods. And sometimes their habits get into their way of defeating ghosts and causing a lot of destruction and trouble for Garterbelt.
“Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” features the following characters:
- Panty – The oldest of the Anarchy sisters who is blonde and is addicted to sex. She tends to prioritize having sex with a thousand men on Earth before collecting Heaven Coins for going back to Heaven. She is very rude and has the special power of transforming her panties into a pistol known as “Backlace”. She can also use Stocking’s panties and turn it to a backup “Backlace” and combine the two to make a machine gun or sniper rifle. She can also utilize male underwear for weapons but it depends on the size of the original wearer’s penis.
- Stocking – The youngest of the Anarchy Sisters, the much more reasonable sister who has pink and purple hair. She is addicted to sugary foods but her sister is known to bring the rudeness out of her, especially if Panty eats her sweets or makes fun of her weight. She is masochistic and has the power to transform her stockings to katanas. She carries around a stuff cat doll known as Honekoneko.
- Garterbelt – The reverend of Daten City and is responsible for being the guardian of the Anarchy sisters. A tall black man with a ‘fro, he is often relaying missions to the sisters and seems to be interested in bondage and men. When he was younger, Garterbelt used to be a thug. And when he was gunned down and went to Heaven, God gave him a task but Garterbelt has refused to carry out the mission and is thus banished to Daten City where he will be immortal until he completes his mission. Garterbelt wears a garter belt that can turn into a mini-gun.
- Brief – A ghost hunter who follows the Anarchy sisters around is often called “Geek Boy” by them. He is attracted to Panty and has a secret identity.
- Chuck – A green dog side-kick of the Anarchy Sisters who has quick healing powers. Often subjected to a variety of injuries, he can transform into a huge horned beast.
- Scanty – The oldest of the Daemon sisters and a rival of the Anarchy sisters. Responsible in the creation of ghosts in Daten City. Similar to Panty, she can transform two panties into revolvers and combine them to become a shotgun.
- Kneesocks – The youngest of the Daemon Sisters and rival of the anarchy sisters. Wears glasses and has blue hair. She is calmer than Scanty and can turn her knee socks into a pair of scythes.
- Corset – The Mayor of Daten City and the primary antagonist of the Anarchy Sisters. A blue demon who is seeking the blood kin of Hell’s Monkey to unlock Hell’s Gate and unleash a powerful ghost.
- Fastener – Scanty and Kneesocks side-kick and the rival of Chuck. A rodent which can transform into a two-headed dragon.
“Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” is presented in 1080p High Definition (1:78:1). Animation resembles something from “Powderpuff Girls”, western animation with a touch of Japanese anime. Most of the scenes can change with the characters looking very cartoony and then transition to a more anime (normal) looking series and then back to the cartoony style. If anything, one of the unique aspects of “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” was GAINAX having the ability to experiment with each episode.
One intriguing episode is in episode five titled “Vomiting Point”. This series focuses on an office worker named Terao and his young daughter’s birthday party. The animation is remarkably detailed, animation fantastic but it’s possibly the main mini-episode that is completely different from the other episodes.
But overall, the anime series is vibrant and colorful.
AUDIO & SUBTITLES:
“Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” is presented in English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Japanese Dolby TrueHD 2.0. As for the lossless audio track, both dialogue soundtracks are clear and understandable, m-flo’s Taku has beats playing the background and is also quite clear. There is plenty of action in the English dub and because it is in 5.1, it has better dynamic range compared to the Japanese soundtrack.
With that being said, both soundtracks are well-acted but there is a primary difference.
While the anime series is raunchy, the English dub version is way much raunchier than the Japanese version with F-bombs, S-words and other hilarious and fascinating uses of profanity. Granted, it does get a bit old when you hear it too many times but considering that this is most profane anime series I have ever seen, for those who don’t mind watching an anime series with plenty of profanity will dig “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
Subtitles are in English.
“Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” includes the following special features:
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Revealed: Unrated Cut – (22:54) A Blu-ray exclusive, this feature showcases interviews with English dub voice talent Colleen Clinkenbeard, Monica Rial, Jamie Marchi and Christopher Sabat.
- Sit Down with Panty and Stocking – (11:56) A Blu-ray exclusive, interviews with the English voice talent.
- Panty and Stocking in Sanitary Box – (8:31) Short episodes which include Panty throwing the first pitch for the Yomiuri Giants and taking part in her grand opening, short episode featuring Panty becoming a zombie, Garterbelt taking viewers on a tour of Daten City, a Chuck episode resembling a raunchy version of “Super Mario Bros.”, a short featuring circumcised skin being made into chips known as “Prickles”, a short featuring Garterbelt playing with Panty & Stocking toys on his nipple, a short featuring Panty spitting gum into Stocking’s hair and a short featuring Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt dancing.
- Ghost Explosion Collection – (21:39) Featuring 16 video clips (over a minute long) of ghost structures being blown up.
- Ghost Explosion Collection Documentary – (40:05) Featuring the behind-the-scenes making of the Ghost Explosion Collection with interviews with director Hiroyuki Imaishi and crew.
- TV Promotional Video – (1:29) Japanese promotional video for “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- Official Home Page Commercial Collection – (1:59) A collection of short Japanese commercials featured on the “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” website.
- Post-Airing Commercial Collection 2 – (2:47) Japanese pre-airing commercials for ” Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- DVD Commercial Collection 1 – (4:19) The first collection of Japanese DVD commercials for “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- DVD Commercial Collection 2 – (4:19) A second collection of Japanese DVD commercials for “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- Pre-Airing Commercial Collection – (1:15) Japanese pre-airing commercials for ” Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- Now-Airing Commercial Collection – (1:21) Japanese now-airing “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” commercials.
- Talk Live Animated at Loft/Plus One – (23:50) A live interview with Nishiyama (Publicity at Kadokawa Shoten), Manabe (Publicity at GAINAX), Arisa Ogasawara (Panty), Mariya Ise (Stocking), Hiroyuki Imaishi (Director) and Yoshikazu Iwanami (Sound Director). Featuring live voice acting! Second part features SUSHIO (Animation Director), Hiromi Wakabayashi (concept planner), Morohashi (Director of Photography).
- Making of Lingerie Scene – (10:59) Daisuki Suzuki (SANZIGEN) and Director Hiroyuki Imaishi talk about how the live action portion was incorporated to the lingerie scene.
- Outtakes – (16:03) Outtakes from the English dub of “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”.
- U.S. Trailer – (:59) FUNIMATION trailer for “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series”.
- Textless Opening Song (Theme for Panty & Stocking)
- Textless Closing Song (Falling Angel)
- TRAILERS: FUNIMATION Trailers
I’m not sure how to start my review for “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt”. Not sure if the words befuddled, shocked, surprised can describe my feelings for this anime series.
And I’m not sure if the young adults will understand where I’m going to go with is, but let’s try!
Back in the ’90s, I used to listen to a lot of profane comedy and one of the most profane comedians back then was Andrew Dice Clay. F-bombs, S-words, C-words, you name it… he dropped it like no other. Years later, “South Park” came to television and as everyone complained about “The Simpsons” and “Beavis and Butthead”, “South Park” would shock viewers because of its profane content. Granted, I’m not too offended by this comedy material and that is why I continue to review these type of shows.
But when it comes from Japan, I know how perverted things can get and I have watched a lot of interesting adult comedy (not porn) on Japanese TV and have hung around a lot of Japanese guys and women to see how conversations start from pure conversations and end up getting raunchy and perverted.
Well, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” is a series directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi and as the saying goes, after “Gurren Lagann” was completed, the staff took a trip for some rest and relaxation and while drunk they started discussing doing an anime with sexual themes. Something vulgar and indecent and sure enough, inspired by American adult animation, they decided to go for it!
And the series has become popular in Japan from its adult theme, its animation and also the music thanks to TCY Force produced by the popular Taku Takahashi of m-flo. Since this anime was released in Japan, I have seen many cosplayers in America dressed like Panty and Stocking (and not really knowing anything about it at the time).
But now that is has been released, it’s one thing to have a sexual and vulgar series with Japanese sensibilities, but leave it to Americans to really take things up a notch and make it very perverted, nasty and all-out crazy!
From the first episode alone, we see “Excretion Without Honor nor Humanity” and Panty and Stocking are investigating a case of people eaten by toilets and then have to fight fight a ghost who is trying to cover the city with feces. But even more surprising is when Panty meets a plumber, who she thinks is responsible (but isn’t), she can’t resist and starts having sex with him immediately.
Or the episode “Pulp Addiction” when ghosts of vengeful sperm have led to the shortage of tissue paper and men of Daten City can’t wipe themselves after blowing a nut! That is just insane, disgusting but f’-in crazy! Or another episode in which Panty meets a guy and both stick each other’s boogers into each other. And somehow, it makes everyone in Daten City go into insane booger picking mode.
And getting even raunchier, for the episode “…Of the Dead”, what happens when Panty and Stocking must fight zombies with dildos?
There is so many sexual references, so much profanity and personally, I don’t think I have seen any animation that is this profane and vulgar. But as I know there are people who will feel that this is not for them, I can see an audience who will embrace this stuff. Because of its crude humor and many times, you will find yourself saying…. “oh, s**t did I just hear that!”.
Suffice to say, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” was an intriguingly, naughty and vulgar anime series. It’s one thing for GAINAX to attempt such a series but seeing what FUNimation have been able to do with series such as “Crayon Shin Chan”, you wonder what if they could take things even farther. And they have!
You have a protagonist who can’t help herself from wanting to have sex all the time (and always wanting to show off her umm…”opening”), not just one person (heck, in one episode, she wants to bang the whole football team in her quest to have sex with a thousand Earth men before she goes back to Heaven) and a gothy girl who is too addicted to sweets (and happens to be much calmer than her older sister). And to make things even more awkward is that their guardian is a talk, bulky Black man with a big afro and doesn’t hide his feelings of wanting to have sex with guys.
And there are others characters that are just as hilarious to watch as well! Especially the unusual villains, such as one big factory lady with enormous nipples and she uses them to shoot her “special sauce/sugar spooge” on cupcakes.
Having reviewed the series on DVD, there are obvious differences between this Blu-ray release versus its DVD counterpart that was released last summer. For one, the primary difference is that the video is now in 1080p High Definition and color detail is much more sharper and noticeable. Second, lossless soundtrack especially for the English voice acting has much better dynamic range and sounds much better overall. And third, the big difference is the addition of two more special features with the English voice talent on the Blu-ray release.
It’s important to note that “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt” is not porn, nor do they show characters fully nude, nor is the act of intercourse seen in the series. Nudity and intercourse is often blocked and you can’t see anything. Still, this is not a series to have children around. It’s raunchy, a lot of profanity and features mature humor!
Overall, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” is a nasty, vulgar series that will either make people laugh or turn people off. For those who are sensitive to profanity and sexual humor, this series is not for you.
But If you are open to an anime series with a lot of profanity, sexual references and insane booger picking, “Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt: The Complete Series” is definitely for you!
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has purchased the above product for review purposes or may have received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews, may it be positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”