Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season (a J!-ENT Blu-ray Disc Review)
March 1, 2014 by Dennis Amith
With “Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season”, you get 26-episodes, 26 audio commentaries…How awesome is that!? If you are looking for an animated series that is crazy, hilarious, addictive and so much fun, “Adventure Time” is highly recommended!
TITLE: Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season
TV SERIES AIR DATE: 2011-2012
DURATION: 26 EPISODES (286 Minutes)
BLU-RAY DISC INFORMATION: 1080p High Definition, 16:9 Widescreen, Dolby Digital 2.0, Subtitles: English SDH
COMPANY: Warner Bros./Cartoon Network
RATED: Not Rated
Release Date: February 25, 2014
Created by Pendleton Ward
Directed by Larry Leichliter
Written by Pendleton Ward, Patrick McHale, Kent Osborne, Mark Banker, Adam Muto, Merriwether Williams, Rebecca Sugar, Cole Sanchez, Timothy McKeon, Ako Castuera, Bert Youn, Tom Herpich, Thurop Van Orman, Somvilay Xayaphone, Steve Little, Jesse Moynihan, Sean Jiminez, Elizabeth Ito, Luther McLaurin, Armen Mirzaian, Niki Yang, Benton Connor, Dick Gruner
Excutive Producer: Fred Seibert, Curtis Lelash, Brian A. Miller, Jennifer Pelphrey, Rob Sorcher, Rob Swartz, Derek Drymon
Producer: Kelley Crews
Co-Producer/Executive Producer: Pendleton Ward
Supervising Producer: Thurop Van Orman
Music by Timothy Kiefer, Casey James Basichis
Production Design by David O’Reilly
Art Direction by Nick Jennings
Jeremy Shada as Finn
John DiMaggio as Jake
Tom Kenny as Ice King
Hynden Walch as Princess Bubblegum
Pendleton Ward As Lumpy Space Princess
Maria Bamford as Wildberry Princess
Niki Yang as Beemo
Olivia Olson as Marceline
Dee Bradley Baker as Cinnamon Bun
Steve Little as Peppermint Butler
Kent Osborne as Joshua
Jessica Di Cicco as Flame Princess
Enjoy the fun adventures of Finn and Jake with this Adventure Time DVD featuring the complete third season. Travel through the Land of Ooo with your favorite characters including Beemo, Marceline the Vampire Queen, and the Ice King.
The adventures of Finn the Human and Jake the dog continue in the Land of Ooo as Finn and Jake come across the Cute King. What happens when the Ice King hires a hit man? What happens when Princess Bubblegum creates a zombie formula? Who stole Tree Trunks’ apples? And how did Ghost Princess die? And what message did Finn’s deceased dad leave him?
Find out in the hilarious and crazy third season of Cartoon Network’s hit animated series, “Adventure Time: The Complete Third Season” now available on Blu-ray and DVD.
What is “Adventure Time”?
Pendleton Ward is known for writing for animated series such as “Random! Cartoons” and “The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack” and most recently “Bravest Warriors”, but in 2010, Ward would create a series that would become a popular animated series on the Cartoon Network titled “Adventure Time”.
Originally produced by Frederator’s Nicktoons Network animation incubator series “Random! Cartoons”, the short for “Adventure Time” would first become a viral hit on the Internet before being picked up by the Cartoon Network and featured on television in 2010.
Heavily inspired by “Dungeons and Dragons” and video games, “Adventure Time” is hand-drawn animation and is recorded as a group, than with voice talent recorded individually.
With a sixth season of “Adventure Time” to air in 2013, since 2012, the series has earned around 3 million viewers per week and has led to video games and comic books based on the animated series.
And now “Adventure Time: The Complete Third Season” will be released on Blu-ray in February 2014.
“Adventure Time” is a series that revolves around Finn the Human, a 14-year-old boy and his best friend, a talking yellow dog named Jake, who has magical powers to change shape, stretch and shrink.
The two live in a post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo where they interact with friends such as Princess Bubblegum, the Ice King, Marceline the Vampire Queen, Lady Rainicorn and more!
Season 3 features a total of 26 episodes which are 12 minutes long (all episodes are on one Blu-ray disc). Here is a spoilerless summary of each episode:
- EPISODE 53 – “Conquest of Cuteness” – What happens when Finn and Jake come across the Cute King and the Cuties.
- EPISODE 54 – “Morituri Te Salutamus” – Finn and Jake are trapped in an arena of ghost gladiators.
- EPISODE 55 – “Memory of a Meory” – What happens when Marceline traps herself in a sleep spell.
- EPISODE 56 – “Hitman” – The Ice King hires a hit man to put out a hit on Finn and Jake.
- EPISODE 57 – “Too Young” – A continuation to the second season finale, what happens when the Earl of Lemongrab tries to usurp himself as the leader of the kingdom.
- EPISODE 58 – “The Monster” – Finn and Jake are on a mission to find Lumpy Space Princess.
- EPISODE 59 – “Still” – Jake and Finn are paralyzed by the Ice King.
- EPISODE 60 – “Wizard Battle” – What happens when the Ice King tries to enter a wizard contest.
- EPISODE 61 – “Fionna and Cake” – Fionna and Cake take on the Ice Queen.
- EPISODE 62 – “What Was Missing” – Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum and Marceline for a band.
- EPISODE 63 – “Apple Thief” -Who stole Tree Trunks’ apples.
- EPISODE 64 – “The Creeps” – Jake, Finn and friends are invited to a masquerade ball.
- EPISODE 65 – “From Bad to Worse” – Princess Bubblegum’s zombie formula infects the kingdom.
- EPISODE 66 – “Beautopia” – Susan comes back to ask for Finn and Jake’s help.
- EPISODE 67 – “No One Can Hear You” – Finn is knocked unconscious by a deer ad wakes up to find the kingdom has changed.
- EPISODE 68 – “Jake vs. Me-Mow” – A small cat and assassin named Me-Mow tries to start some trouble with Jake.
- EPISODE 69 – “Thank You” – A firepup is lost in the mountains.
- EPISODE 70 – “The New Frontier” – Jake has a croak dream that he will be killed by a Banana Man.
- EPISODE 71/72 – “Holly Joly Secrets” – Finn and Jake finds the Ice King’s video diaries and the Ice King wants it back.
- EPISODE 73 – “Marceline’s Closet” – Finn and Jake play “Cloud Hunt” and hide in Marceline’s closet.
- EPISODE 74 – “Paper Pete” – Finn, Paper Pete and the Paperlings must defend the library from the Moldos.
- EPISODE 75 – “Another Way” – Finn is scared of the clown nurses.
- EPISODE 76 – “Ghost Princess” – Finn and Jake try to become detectives and find out who killed the Ghost Princess.
- EPISODE 77 – “Dad’s Dungeon” – Finn receives a holographic message from his deceased father.
- EPISODE 78 – “Incendium Part 1” – Jake asks the Flame King if Finn can date his daughter.
“Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season” is presented in 1080p High Definition (presented in 16×9). The animation is absolutely fantastic in HD! Colors are vibrant, color palette is colorful and while the character designs may lack incredible detail and shading of other animated series (note: background art is shaded), what makes “Adventure Time” work is its abundance of characters, creative backgrounds, locations and more.
During my viewing of the series, I did not see any artifacts, banding, even during scenes with a lot of red or orange. Line detail is very strong and for the most part, fans of the series should be happy with the overall presentation.
“Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season” is presented in Dolby Digital 2.0. While my picky side would prefer for a 5.1 immersive soundtrack, the fact is that a lot of animated series is presented in stereo. Dialogue is clear!
Subtitles are in English SDH.
“Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season” comes with the following special features:
- Audio Commentary – All episodes of season three have audio commentary. So, you get over five hours worth of audio commentary featuring creator Pendleton Ward, Kent Osborne (Head of Story), Cole Sanchez, Rebecca Sugar, Somvilay Xayaphone, Jesse Moynihan and Tom Herpich.
- Alternate Adventure Time Intro by Screen Novelties – (:36) Screen Novelties Adventure Time version of the intro using Legos.
- How an Idea Becomes Adventure Time – (7:35) Creator Pen Ward, Adam Muto (storyboard artist and supervising producer) and Kent Osborne (Head of Story) discuss the making of “Adventure Time” and entertaining their fans.
“Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season: An Amazing Adventure” comes with a slipcover. Also, included is an Ultraviolet code which allows you to watch and share on computers, iPhones, iPads, Android devices, game consoles and connected TV’s.
Finn and Jake’s adventures continue with season 3 of “Adventure Time”.
Featuring even more wilder, crazier and fun episodes, this latest season features special guests Neil Patrick Harris and “Weird Al” Yankovic.
From hilarious episodes such as the Ice King who hires a hit man, not knowing that a hit man tries to kill its target, not actually hit them. To episodes which include everyone turning into zombies, Jake taking on an evil assassin cat, Susan making a return in hopes for Finn to help her out, a murder mystery episode, the group forming a band and more!
There are plenty of awesome episodes in “Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season”. It’s important to note that anyone can jump in with season three without having previous knowledge of the series (as each episode are standalone). The series is pretty much an episode of adventures featuring Finn and Jake and what happens when the come across a variety of characters. Some crazy, some goofy, some evil and more!
Part of the enjoyment I had while watching this series is the fact that it’s not banal. You can’t predict what will happen with each episode as it is not formulaic, crazy things happen and just to see how each character deals with a certain situation, you can’t help but laugh and be entertained.
As for the Blu-ray release of “Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season”, the series looks incredible on Blu-ray. Colors are absolutely vibrant in HD. While it would have been nice to have a 5.1 lossless soundtrack instead of a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack, it does happen with many animated series.
While the first season had featurettes and animatics, “Adventure Time – The Complete Third Season” does have two featurettes that features Screen Novelties alternative Lego intro version to a featurette on how an idea became a reality for Pendleton Ward. But following the example set with the second season, all episodes includes an audio commentary.
Overall, if you are a fan of “Adventure Time”, I can easily say that you’re getting your money’s worth with both Blu-ray releases of “Adventure Time”. But if you purchased the first two seasons, then the third is a no-brainer! It’s a must own!
If you are looking for an animated series that is crazy, hilarious, addictive and so much fun, “Adventure Time” is highly recommended!
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has purchased the above product for review purposes or may have received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews, may it be positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”