What the Japanese music celebrities tweeted right after the earthquake
March 14, 2011 by Dennis Amith
Note: This page will be continually updated as we add more to the list.
The devastation caused by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan has affected millions of people. No one knows how much damage was caused, nor is Japan even close to tallying how many people are missing, injured or dead as rescue efforts are continuing.
When the earthquake hit, during the first few hours, J!-ENT was monitoring our J_ENTJAPAN Twitter site and reading posts from various followers and also following the posts of various music celebrity twitter accounts and noticing how stars such as Ayumi Hamasaki, TM Revolution, MICRO of Home Made Kazoku, Hikaru Utada, Issei Ishida, model Natsuki Katou, GACKT and MIYAVI were using their celebrity status on their Twitter accounts to direct people to emergency services and also some providing information in English for the international followers who may be living in Japan.
Here are the initial tweets that took place right after the earthquake occurred. Some tweets were done several hours later and while most were in Japanese, some stars addressed their international fans in English. Here are a few of those celebrity tweets:
- Ayumi Hamasaki - Among the most active tweets came from Ayumi Hamasaki who began trying to help people by posting emergency re-tweet information on her Twitter account. Hamasaki posted, “Before nature, we are powerless human beings. I hope and will retreat desperately spreading information. Do not despair, have to courage to stand up and have hope in our hearts. It depends on us!” For her English fans, Ayumi tweeted, “Thank you guys to keep praying for Japan!!!! We all gonna be strong. We can feel your heart. It will really be helpful to us. Thanks again for all prayers.”
- Takanori Nishikawa (TM Revolution) was also among the more active tweeters of the day as he did all he can to help people via Twitter, especially those who were non-Japanese fans living in Japan. TMR told his fans that he was OK but used a lot of his efforts to retweet information and important emergency information for those following him on Twitter.
- Home Made Kazoku’s MICRO also followed TMR’s lead by using his Twitter account to help those who are following him on Twitter.
- Rock star MIYAVI also used Twitter to pass around important messages to his fans and urging them to learn how to Retweet. Miyavi tweeted to his fans, “dear my ppl, thank u 4 ur prayers. me n my fam r all fine. but the ppl in the places the earthquake hit r not… so please keep prayin 4 us.
- Producer and musician Shinichi Osawa also took to Twitter to help people out. Osawa tweeted, “Thank you I’m OK but still terrible pls pray for all victims.”
- Pop artist BENI posted, “Thank you all, I’m safe, thanks. Anyway, we can now act on our own by conserving electricity.” Beni followed up with a message to her fans in English, “thank you all for your concern, I’m fine as well as my family. This is all very surreal..ready to support in any way possible.#prayforjapan“
- Rocker/musician/producer YOSHIKI of X JAPAN tweeted, “Hope everybody is ok? Yes I’m in Tokyo… I AM OK Love!!! Trying to make sure all my fans, family and friends are ok….Trying to be calm….but I still can’t contact my mother…”. YOSHIKI posted the following day, “My Mother is FINE!! Thank you Thank you everybody!! I’m praying for the people in Japan still trying to find their family…I talked to ToshI, Pata, Sugizo, Heath… They are all OK! Still trying to reach some of my friends….”
- m-flo’s Taku Takahashi tweeted, “hey guys. thanx 4 ur kindness. Tokyo is still shaking a little once in a while. hope it stops.”
- Actor/musician Issei Ishida tweeted, “thanks now still bit of quakes but we will survive!! To English speakers,If you at safe place,please stay there,it’s night and cold already,not good idea to walk around.reply me any question.”
- Producer/Musician Tetsuya Komuro now lives in Osaka and not in Tokyo. He tweeted to his fans “I now work in television in Osaka, not Tokyo. Please do not panic and remain calm. I am worried though.”
- Music artist Hikaru Utada tweeted after the earthquake, “Wow I just experienced the biggest earthquake of my life. Gas/electricity has stopped in many areas of Japan and some people have died. For foreigners in Japan- there are tsunami warnings in many areas, stay away from the sea and rivers, and watch out for aftershocks!”
- Hip hop artist Zeebra tweeted, “Thank you. Whole family is safe.” and continued with another reply to a friend, “I’m good, man. I hope it don’t get worst. Pray for us!”
- DJ and producer Towa Tei tweeted, “Thank you everybody mailing me.. I am fine. NOW, I rather save Electricity and think what i can do and pray. PEACE!”
- FANTASTIC PLASTIC MACHINE’s Tomoyuki Tanaka tweeted, “Studio is a mess. Cracked and broken things which fell off the shelves…I hope everyone is safe!”
- Singer Crystal Kay tweeted, “Holy shit that was big. omg is everyone ok!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? tsunami is destroying miyagi…im watching it on tv ;(;(. sending out my prayers!!!!!!!!! yokohama had a ６mag. my shoe shelf has fallen over ;s. im at homeeeeeeee im ok. so scared. the sky looks so weird right now. omgggg sendai is getting destroyed now…houses and everything. fire is moving with the wave…omg….this is unreal. 仙台のみなさん、祈ってます！！omg i have never seen a tsunami before. they are showing it on tv. everyone PLS go somewhere high up!! stay safe!!! im sending out my prayers to everyone in the miyagi and sendai area…and all the affected areas!!! its coming again and again and again. its never ending…i hate it.
- Singer Emi Hinouchi tweeted, “Glad to be alive. Crying”
- Singer Nanase Aikawa tweeted in English, “Dear oversea fans Thanks for your messages worried about me. We, my family, are fine. No need to worry. It was definitely the biggest earthquake ever that hit east Japan. It reminds me of Hanshin earthquake, another huge earthquake happened in the past, and hurts my heart. I don’t know what I can do, but I just hope there won’t be any more damage than there already is.”
- Music artist KEN THE 390 tweeted, “I’m worried and hope everyone in the Northeast is safe! By the way, the book shelf inside is all messed up…”
- DJ Sugiurumn tweeted, “Please Stay Tough please!”
- Singer/musician/producer Tomoyasu Hotei tweeted, “I’m safe. I ran to the school. The location group of drama is worried. Everyone alright?”. Hotei continued, answering questions of how his wife, actress/singer Miki Imai is doing. Hotei said, “Miki is safe, sorry to have you worrying about us. Miyagi and Ibaraki, however, have damage. Prepare for aftershocks.
- Aya Matsuura tweeted on Saturday, “Late post, sorry. I hope everyone is safe.”
- Morning Musume member Erina Mano tweeted, “Is everyone all right? I am unable to contact my family on the phone (/ _ ; )”
- The management? of pop quartet SCANDAL posted the following on Twitter, “All four members are all right. Please be careful and listen to the breaking news of the earthquake.”
- Former Morning Musume member Ai Kago tweeted, “I was in the first floor and the shaking was enormous that you couldn’t walk. One of the people was so scared! Is everyone alright? OK everyone, Be careful! I hope everyone is safe!”
- Former KAT-TUN member Jin Akanishi tweeted, “Is everyone all right? I’m good. Thank you for your comments, I just worried a lot. It looks like the aftershocks are continuing and can not sleep at all. I hate that. Be careful everyone.”
- AKB48 member Tomomi Itano tweeted, “Since I am not in Japan, I am safe. Everyone Ok? I’m quite worried.”
- AKB48 member Sayaka Akimoto tweeted, “Everyone, I am safe”. Akimoto later tweeted, “I’m watching the news. We should all cooperate and support. I hope the damage does not increase.”
- AKB48 member Mariko Shinoda tweeted, “I’m on Twitter now! Are you all right!! 。・゜・(ノД`)・゜・” Shinoda tweeted concern for her fellow AKB48 members, “I am concerned about all members! In Japan…everyone is okay.”
- AKB48 member Hana Tojima tweeted, “I’m alive. Take care everyone.”
- AKB48 member Ayaka Umeda tweeted to her fans, “I came back from a trip and was unable to update. I’m sorry. Is everyone ok from the earthquake?
- Singer ARIA contacted us and said, “I’m alright, my family’s too, Thank you for your kindness.” After the earthquake, Aria posted, “Alone in a scary mess. My room is messy but I’m in a safe place. I’m alright. Everyone okay?
- Hisashi of GLAY tweeted, “I have never seen such a tsumani…”, Hisashi later tweeted, “Felt some trembling but I’m fine.”
- AAA leader Naoya Urata tweeted, “I can not use the phone at all but because I am connected to Twitter, I can try to exchange information using Twitter. My parents home inside is messy and I’m sure my family will blame me. The power of nature is really scary.”
- AAA member Chiaki posted “No injuries? I’m safe and sound!”
- AAA member Misaki Uno tweeted, “I wish everyone is safe. I think many people are lonely and alone. I fear they are not alone. Please be safe!”
- AAA member Shinjiro Atae tweeted, “OK! I was at the theater and left. I arrived at my apartment and saw a crack on the wall. It messed up my room. But all right now. Aftershocks still continues.” Atae continued to tweet but this time in English. “I’m so scared!!! but I’m ok!! thx!!” “r u guys ok??we need to help each other!!!anyway calm down,calm down!!u r not alone definitely!!!!!!!”
- Former AAA member Yukari Gotoh tweeted, “I’m sorry but my hands are trembling in fear”
- Base Ball Bear tweeted, “Everyone is home safely but preparing emergency bags and helmets”.
- Hiroki of D tweeted, “Got in touch with everyone earlier and everyone is safe! Please be careful because the aftershocks still continue.”
- Teruki Nagata of AN CAFE tweeted, “Is everyone safe?” Teruki tweeted not long after, “An e-mail came from my father. I am relieved.”
- Takuya of AN CAFE tweeted, “Is everyone in the northeast OK?”
- Kiyoshi of ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION tweeted, “We are all safe in Ajikanmenba. Everyone OK?!”
- Singer Mini tweeted, “That was an earthquake, is everyone fine?” Min later tweeted, “Everyone in Miyagi OK? Saw an article in Shibuya, saw a sewer pipe that bursted. There are many fires, everyone please be careful.”
- moumoon vocalist YUKA tweeted, “Hiroshima was shaking slightly, I’m safe! Watch out for aftershocks” She and Masaki then tweeted that due to the severity of the earthquake/tsunami, the two would postpone their schedule concerts.
- YUCALI of HALCALI tweeted, “was a great earthquake (‘・ _ ・ `) I caught a train! Everyone okay?”
- Singer, alan tweeted, “I’m fine. Please be careful. Shake is terrible.We thank the staff of the venue during rehearsal…earthquake, fled immediately.”
- Producer Daisuke Asakura tweeted, “Home! I was waiting for a while because I felt a tremor. I am safe but aftershocks are still following.”
- Pop star ICONIQ tweeted, “I’m fine. Everyone OK? It seems that the aftershocks still continue today but please be careful!”
- Singer Kohmi Hirose was at photoshoot with her staff when the earthquake happened. Kohmi posted “Everyone, are you all right? I’m fine. So, please be careful.”
- Singer Jamosa tweeted, “Enoshima had an earthquake but there is no tsunami warning. Back in Tokyo. Fujisawa firefighters, thank you very much! I can not use the phone at all! Everyone, are you okay?
- ASIA ENGINEER’s ZERO commented, “Not an odd quick earthquake. Phone won’t connect at all. Please tell us about the situation in Tokyo?”
- mihimaru GT producer Hideyuki Daichi Suzuki tweeted, ” Thank you! I’m OK . The aftershocks are still continuing, everyone has to stay calm. Yes, in Tokyo. This is less damage. But the aftershocks are still continuing. I stayed at home. Many people go home last night and stayed the trains to stop.”
- GooF of SOFFet was leaving a radio interview at FM Osaka and then felt the earthquake and tweeted, “Huh everyone okay? Osaka was shaking!”
- Singer Tomoe Shinohara tweeted, “I pray for your safety, please pray for those who are wounded from the earthquake. My heart is shaking.” Shinohara continued, “I hope everyone is not hurt.”
- Shanadoo’s Rose tweeted, “I am hearing – Earthquake”.
- Shanadoo’s CK tweeted, “Everyone safe?”
- Masa of the rock band BASARA tweeted, “This is dangerous! Great earthquake shaking the train! “
- Music artist WYOLICA tweeted, “Shibuya. Alive. Shattered windows from the building near me.” Wyolica would go on to tweet later that day, “Aftershocks are enormous. It may shake all night. Everyone have shoes beside you. I will be wearing a jacket. Out of respect for the neighbors.”
- Music artist Miray tweeted, “I’m all right.”
- Ryuichi Kawamura of LUNA SEA tweeted, “the earthquake was awful! are everybody okay? please be careful since there are still some aftershock! I am fine!”
- SUGIZO of LUNA SEA tweeted, “I’m fine. Please don’t worry about me guys!”. As for the LUNA SEA members, Sugizo followed up with, “All LUNA SEA’s member is fine!! Thank you so much guys!! Please don’t worry about us!! From Tokyo with Love…”
- Tatsuro of MUCC tweeted the following, “Aftershocks are continuing, is everyone all right? Together we will persevere!”
- Hiroto of Alice9 tweeted, “I wish everyone to be safe! I am fine. E-mail and telephone is not connected but I can be reached on Twitter.”
- Naoko of Shonen Knife tweeted, “We had an earthquake. I’m in Osaka and there are not so strong one but in Northern part of Japan, it was strong. We decided to stay in Osaka because of the earthquake.I deeply appreciated kind messages from overseas. I just can pray for the people who suffer from the disaster.”
- Japanese reggae artist RYO THE SKYWALKER was in Jamaica at the time of the earthquake but tweeted the following, “Im in Jamaica right now so 大丈夫です〜 but nuff ppl in north they get damaged …. thx anyway !!! i jus fine and work in anchor studio !! worry bout big earthquake in JPN …”
- Entertainer Emyli was among the few entertainers like Crystal Kay who had a lot things on their mind during the earthquake especially family members. Emyli tweeted within the first 24 hours, “i cant reach my father, he might be trapped inside a train. freshness burger in gaienmae wont let me use their phone. was able to reach my father. thank you for your prayers. bought food & the last iphone charger, food was all out except instant food. will stay overnight at the studio & walk a few cities home tmrw. tokyo tower is bent. ground is shaking right now. sleepy, but scared, started shaking again. cant tell if it’s my heart shaking or the ground shaking. earthquakes are ongoing. these are times when u really appreciate the small things–drinking clean water, being able to shower, eat clean food–and most importantly, being alive. live ur day to the fullest everyone, turn ur dreams into reality. the end can come at anytime for anyone & anywhere. i truly thank every one of you who are praying for us. that is the only thing that’s holding this country together right now. all i can think about is surviving today. my daddy’s home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. thank u everyone for all ur prayers & thoughts & love during this difficult time. just elated & so thankful that my family is alive & unhurt. may we be able to survive this day. my heart goes out to all persons affected by this catastrophe.”
- Aoi from the rock band the GazettE tweeted, “I remember the drill. Food and water has been stocked. Information is flowing through Twitter. There is also an emergency message board. I’m fine. Please respond calmly.”
- Ruki of the GazettE tweeted, “Big earthquake. Watch out for aftershocks everyone”
- Singer and voice actress Haruko Momoi tweeted, “I am safe. It was a bad earthquake and came back home to check out the apartment and to find shelter. I pray the damage will not get worse. Because my father was sick, I was concerned about his unstable blood pressure because of the earthquake. I was also concerned about the deterioration of his physical condition from the psychological stress. I think the anxiety is felt in the Kanto region. I have a pain in my chest.” Momoi issued the following tweet to her intl. fans, “Dear overseas Momoists.THX to your worrying about us.I’m OK.I appreciate your tender words. I hope sing a anisong with Japanese and every country’s fans,again…Thank you for your encouragement tweet.Arigatou gozaimasu!”
- Anison singer HIMEKA tweeted, “I updated my blog. People who worried about me, thank you. I’m doing fine. Keeping the victims of the tsunami in my thoughts and prayers…”
- staff for Ami and Yumi of PUFFY tweeted, “amiyumi is safe. We thank everyone who has worried and hope that everyone is safe.”
- Shinji of SID tweeted, “I hope everyone in the northeast is all right. Earthquake in Tokyo was enormous. The bookshelf in the house fell. Paying attention to the aftershocks”.
- Producer and musician Tetsuro Oda tweeted, “I’m getting more worried and home many are completely safe. Take care everyone.”
- Olivia Lufkin tweeted, “My family, friends and I are safe everyone!!! Sending out my love to all the earthquake victims. <3 <3 <3. Thank you all for the concerned messages. My family is together at my parents place, where we will be staying till…”
- Eriko Imai from SPEED had a tweet from her staff to please check her blog. On her blog, she posted, “ Everyone, are you safe?? Me and my song are safe. For the first time, I felt fear. I’m sure everyone feels the same. Please act calmly and everyone, please be safe. Thank you. Please be safe.” As for the other members of SPEED, Eriko posted, “Thanks for everyone’s concerns. SPEED members are all safe. We again experienced the horrors of nature. I will still continue. Many people have died in the earthquake and the impact from tsunami. We pray for you. Finally, do not forget hope.”
- Nana from MAX tweeted, “Earthquake. Everyone safe? I’m fine. It’s really scary…”
- Rina from MAX tweeted, “water supply at my parent’s home has been cut off. But water supplies are at the public citizen’s hall. Also, continuous power failure. I’m am scared.”
- The staff for the female pop group BRIGHT tweeted, “Earthquake is everyone okay? Please be careful for the aftershocks! ! Members are safe! For now!
- Singer/actress Meisa Kuroki tweeted, “Is everyone safe? I’ll be fine for now! Be careful of tsunami. Take care!”
- Singer Nami Tamaki tweeted, “Is everyone OK because I am doing OK?! I felt the earthquake in the house and the aftershocks are still continuing. Trying to open the window without it falling down. I hope your safe from the bottom of my heart.”
- Singer GACKT was a bit more personal, creating a Twitter account the day after and posting a long message about getting together and doing something. Asking celebrities to join him and posting a message on the following website. In an excerpt of that message, GACKT tweeted “We need the courage to reach out and help those who are affected, to show a little courage and SHOW YOUR HEART!”
- Singer JASMINE tweeted, “(“° b °)”<<< just tell me whether or not it is safe ーーー”
- Model Natsuki Katou has been active since the earthquake in providing emergency information on Twitter. Her first tweet after the earthquake was “Everyone!! Please do not go near the sea or river. When moving, protect your head, please.”
- Singer MISIA tweeted, “I hope everyone is safe? Please support those who meet survived from the damage and those who are displaced, are in physical and mental fatigue. Aftershocks still continue. The situation is serious, we all need to try and act cool!”
- Singer JUJU tweeted, “I’m safe at home. I’m scared too!”
- Rina of SCANDAL tweeted, “Are you okay? If you are worried about me or the staff members, we are in a safe place and everyone is OK! Thank you! Let’s help each other! OK!”
- Nohana of Stereopony tweeted, “Ok guys its (>_<)? earthquake Stereopony is safe! You guys take care (>_<)”
- Shiho of Stereopony tweeted, “Everyone OK? It seems that the aftershocks that followed are still continuing. Be careful!”
- Singer Tommy february6, who was not feeling well that day tweeted the following day, “Shun-chan is safe. Our cats are safe. I went to a meeting today and came back home awhile ago. I was scared because it was in a building which was being used as a shelter. Anyway, I’m OK, scared but calm. I like being calm. How is everyone’s place?”
- Singer Hiromi tweeted, “Are you all right in the Northeast? ? (>_<) screaming sore throat”. Hiromi later tweeted, “I’m alright… we still have earthquakes tho. i don’t wanna fall asleep”
- Singer Rie Fu tweeted, “As for me I am safe and sound, but there are much more out there needing your support. Please send donations!!”
- Singer Kylee tweeted, “I heard that a very large earthquake hit Japan, are you guys all right? I am very worried.”
- Kaneko Nobuaki of RIZE tweeted, “Nobuaki Kaneko, RIZE and staff are safe.”
- Singer Saori@destiny tweeted, “Is everyone OK? I’m worried. I remember a horrible childhood experience with the Great Hanshin earthquake. Please be careful, please!”
- Singer Keita Tachibana of w-inds. tweeted, “I hope everyone is in a safe place.”
- DJ/Producer Satoshi Fumi tweeted, “to my friends,i’m ok.but stop the traffic!”
- Singer Yu Shirota tweeted, “Are you okay? I am fine! It’s really dangerous, so please stay away from the sea.”
- Singer Kat McDowell tweeted throughout the day, “Wow!! The train was shaking so bad!!! The was the scariest earthquake ever! I hope the people outside were ok!! I hope the people in Miyagi are ok!! trains stopped.. So walking home. It’s nice to walk and see other people! We are ok. Thank you for all the messages!! We are home now trying to find out what happened.. 4 million homes with no power, and it’s night now and cold so please pray for those who have lost homes! #prayforjapan. For those who are stuck in Tokyo tonight, you can stay at the near by schools, or the budokan or saitama super arena. wow.. it’s like the tremors never stop… この余震が止まらないね。 I’m praying that God will be with all of us in Japan tonight, and give us peace. Thank you for all the messages!! Most of Tokyo is safe, just shaken up!! We’re praying for the people up North! I am awake!! It’s hard to sleep, but I am sooo grateful I can go to church today to pray with people together! see what we can do to help!”
- Singer Blaise Plant of Monkey Majik lives in Sendai and tweeted throughout the day with probably the most detail of his experience since he lives near the epicenter. Plant tweeted, “My house is trashed! I’m ok! It was spooky…the biggest one yet!! Hey Everyone! It seems to have calmed down a bit.from where I am.the buildings are all busted up..massive billboards on the verge of falling. I urge everyone to keep alert…things are falling all over the place… I heard tsunami looks pretty big on TV. I currently can’t go home the ground is still shaking and shaking. So far a lot of people from the neighborhood gathered together to keep warm. Just checked out Mayn’s Studio, everything is ok, not much damage…my place is…trashed. This is my only way to talk to you all, sorry, just trying to write as fast as I can. I think these tremors are going to last all week. I know it’s a little dangerous to be in a car throughout all this, but just needed a little charge for my iPhone. We are getting non-stop tremors…a big one every 15 mins or so. It sucks cause every shake makes u wonder if it’s the big one. Still pitch black, power is not back yet…walked outside…smell of propane. Currently 2am, power still out, cold. Keeping positive, but so many people have been injured, or killed. It’s hard to sleep. Unimaginable. Just heard from Maynard…there headed over here…looks like things are slowly coming together on this side. Pray for others.”
- Maynard Plant, brother of Blaise and a member of Monkey Majik has also been tweeting about his experience in Sendai. Here is a chronicle of a few twitter posts from Maynard, “Omg.. That was scary. Is everyone ok? I finally found Blaise… He’s ok… But his mansion was in terrible condition. I am now going to check my studio. Haven’t had Internet, phone, power, water, heat since my last twit on Friday. I’m back downtown to see how Blaise is doing. Using ocean water to cool down the nuclear reactor. Many people exposed at this point.”
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”