THE BACHELORETTE FINALE RISES YEAR TO YEAR TO MAKE ABC A DOMINANT NO. 1 ON SUNDAY (7/22)
July 23, 2012 by J!-ENT
ABC Dominates Sunday with Coverage of “The Bachelorette” Season Finale
Posting Summer Highs, “AFHV” Leads for the 2nd Straight Week in Adults 18-49
ABC’s “The Bachelorette” Closer is Up Year to Year in Adults 18-49, Posting the
Net’s Biggest Summertime Entertainment Numbers in the Slot in Nearly 6 Years
ABC’s “The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” Towers Over the 10pm Hour,
Surging Over Last Year’s Telecast by Double-Digit Percentages in Adults 18-49
Sunday Night (7:00-11:00 p.m.)
Featuring the 8th season finale of “The Bachelorette” and the “After the Final Rose” special, ABC (7.9 million and 2.6/8) overshadowed Sunday night, beating out its nearest competition (CBS = 5.2 million and 1.2/3) by 52% in Total Viewers and by 117% in Adults 18-49 (No. 1 in all 8 half hours of prime). It was ABC’s 3rd straight Sunday to lead in the key young adult sales demo.
* ABC’s “The Bachelorette” and “The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” special stood as Sunday’s Top 2 TV programs with viewers and young adults.
“America’s Funniest Home Videos” (7:00-8:00 p.m.)
Hitting summer highs in viewers (5.3 million) and young adults (1.2/4), ABC’s encore “America’s Funniest Home Videos” won the 7:00 p.m. hour for the 2nd week in a row with Adults 18-49.
“The Bachelorette” (8:00-10:00 p.m.)
Jumping over its lead-in at 8:00 p.m. and gaining audience throughout its more than 2-hour broadcast, “The Bachelorette” season closer dominated its time period with season highs, soaring over its most-recent Monday telecast by 1.4 million viewers and by 36% in Adults 18-49. Head to head from 8:00-10:00 p.m., ABC’s “The Bachelorette” nearly tripled Fox’s “Teen Choice 2012″ in Total Viewers (+187% – 8.6 million vs. 3.0 million) and Adults 18-49 (+172% – 3.0/9 vs. 1.1/3).
* “The Bachelorette” was up over its year-ago finale (2.8/8 on 8/1/11) by 7% in Adults 18-49.
* In viewers and young adults, “The Bachelorette” generated ABC’s biggest summertime (Memorial Day-Labor Day) entertainment numbers in the time period in almost 6 years – since 8/27/06.
“The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)
Towering over the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s “The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” special outdelivered its combined CBS and NBC competition by 2.0 million viewers (9.1 million vs. 7.1 million) and by 88% with young adults (3.2/9 vs. 1.7/4). ”The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” finished as Sunday’s No. 1 TV show with viewers and young adults.
* ABC’s “The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose” grew year to year by double digits in Adults 18-49 (+14% – 2.8/8 on 8/1/11).
A note about increasing DVR penetration and year-to-year rating comparisons: Year-to-year rating comparisons based on the Live + Same Day data stream are distorted by the level of DVR penetration in the Nielsen sample, which has jumped up to 44% currently, from 41% at the same point in 2011. More viewers are watching shows on their own timetables, which may not be reflected in the overnight next day numbers. The only truly valid year-to-year comparison would be one based on the Live + 7 Day metric, once those stats are released by Nielsen.
Source: The Nielsen Company (Fast Affiliate, Live + Same Day Ratings), 07/22/12.
- June 19, 2012 -- EMILY TAKES THE FINAL SIX MEN ON A SPECTACULAR TRIP TO PRAGUE, AS THE CRUCIAL HOMETOWN DATES LOOM, ON ABC’S “THE BACHELORETTE”
- May 24, 2011 -- NEXT WEEK ON THE BACHELORETTE (5/30)
- May 25, 2010 -- IT’S DESTINATION HOLLYWOOD FOR ALI AND ONE LUCKY GUY, AS THEY SHARE THE SEASON’S FIRST KISS; A HOT, HOT, HOT CHARITY CALENDAR SHOOT HAS THE MEN STRIKING THEIR BEST POSES, AND SOULFUL SINGER JAMIE CULLUM SERENADES ALI AND ONE HUNKY BACHELOR ON A LUXE TRIP TO LAS VEGAS, ON ABC’S “THE BACHELORETTE”
- June 12, 2012 -- ON NEXT WEEK’S THE BACHELORETTE (618)
- July 27, 2011 -- SEASON FINALE OF THE BACHELORETTE, AND AFTER THE FINAL ROSE (8/1)
J!-ENT has not received any compensation from the company for this post. J!-ENT has no material connection to the brands, products, or services that are mentioned in this post.
For Product Reviews:
For product reviews, J!-ENT has received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free by the company which in no way affects our reviews positive or negative. We only recommend products or services we have tested/reviewed and believe will be good for our readers.
Some of the links in our posts are "affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, J!-ENT will receive an affiliate commission.
J!-ENT is disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”